Motherhood

One of the most delightful moments in a parent's life is when her child achieves something and is recognized for it. I felt a surge of emotion when I saw my little angel perform as the lead dancer at her annual dance function last Sunday. Its not that I was seeing her on stage for the first time (she has been performing since she was four), but the feelings are the same every time. Pride, maternal love, happiness, a sense of personal achievement, all overflowed.

I felt all the more fulfilled because she is literally the centre of my universe, the core of my existence. I have chosen to look after her as my full-time occupation, so that when she arrives from school, all agog with the excitement of the day's events, she finds me waiting to listen to her. Of course, some minor compromises were in order for this privilege. Like not opting for a full-time job, or not taking any traveling assignments. I have seen her wait expectantly for me on the occasions I have been unable to be there when she came home. Disappointment is writ large on her face when she meets a locked door.

But it has been worth being a stay-at-home mother. Barring the pangs on seeing successful women whiz about going to their offices, and managing both home and jobs. I have never been able to entrust my child to somebody else's care. She is too precious, and besides, I want to watch her growing up. I will not miss those moments for anything.

She fully acknowledges my contribution and involvement in her life, and insists on reminding me too. She takes immense pride in my achievements and forces me to talk about them. And openly admits that I am her role-model. Isn't that enough salary for a mother?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Supported Publishing - Boon or Scam?

The Unbearable Weight of Appearing Happy and Successful 24/7

The Otherisation of Bengalis in Present-day India