Life is too short to spend it cribbing and cursing your luck

The daily business of living is becoming more complicated by the day. Life shows it's erratic, ephemeral nature every now and then. Accidents, sudden collapses or illnesses, terrorist attacks, emotional breakdowns, all these have unfortunately become part and parcel of our daily lives. Today's reality becomes tomorrow's uncertainty in a flash.

Actually, I am not really philosophizing about life. I am wondering how we humans still find time to crib, complain and hold grudges against each other for days at a stretch. How egos and self-importance become more important than basic humaneness and empathy.

We go on complaining about our lives and situations, people and jobs, immune to the pain and suffering around us. Our minor troubles assume larger than life proportions, blotting out all that is good and positive. Somehow our problems are the worst, and we are the unluckiest.

Some of our typical gripes:

"I am a nobody...my life is not worth living"

Or
"I have got no true friends. My life sucks."
Or 

"He/she/they are so mean to me. I wish I were dead."

 Or
"So and so is so successful. He/she is really living it up. What am I doing?"

Or
"I hate my job/degree. I am a loser with no future."

Or
"My parents/spouse/family members don't understand me...they are always against what I do."

Or
"Things can't get worse than this. I don't want to live anymore."

The list is actually endless. Self-pity has no bounds and feeds on our own insecurity, envy and intolerance.

But just think:

What would happen is our life was to end tomorrow? 


  • Will these problems be worth the heartburn and anxiety?
  • Will we have lived our lives to our full potential? 
  • Will we leave the world with a smile of contentment? Or with a groan of disappointment and regret?
  • Will those who are around us miss us when we are no more? Will they remember us with a smile on their lips?
  • Will we have improved the life of at one person in the world, or brought happiness to at least one person who is not related to us?
  • What is the legacy we are leaving behind?


Think about it. And then start cribbing. If you think it is worth the while.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Supported Publishing - Boon or Scam?

The Unbearable Weight of Appearing Happy and Successful 24/7

The Otherisation of Bengalis in Present-day India