How I cope with Negative Feedback

Let's talk about the elephant in the room - negative feedback. ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜’


As writers or content creators, we revel in praise and acknowledgment. After all, we need people to love our work.


But as it often happens with a new client, there is a mismatch of expectations and effort. Or maybe we couldn't really project the brand image. Or perhaps, the tone or style was something we got wrong.๐Ÿค•


Whatever it is, we get to hear "No, this is not quite working. Change this, add that, remove repetition, make it more suitable for..... etc."๐Ÿ˜ฆ


Freelance content writers are anyway an under-appreciated lot. And lets not even talk of monetary encouragement.

Now downright criticism is quite demotivating.๐Ÿ˜ญ


Here's how I deal with it:


๐Ÿ‘‰Keep telling myself I did a good job, but need to do better (yeah, the usual pep-talk)


๐Ÿ‘‰Accept that it is not personal criticism (Not an attack on my writing style or thinking)


๐Ÿ‘‰Remind myself that all creators get trashed sometimes (Who hasn't heard of J.K. Rowling's work being rejected so many times before hitting the jackpot? Well, I am no Rowling, but what's the harm in comparing?)



๐Ÿ‘‰Push myself to become a better version of myself (more perspective, more approaches, more inspiration!)


๐Ÿ‘‰Quell that little voice that says, "You are not good enough" (that nagging, negative self talk ๐Ÿ˜ž )


๐Ÿ‘‰Accept it as a challenge. (Ohhh, lemme show you 20 ways of writing the same stuff differently! ✍)



So, this is my arsenal for handling negative feedback.


What's yours?

#writing #feedback #criticism

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Supported Publishing - Boon or Scam?

The Unbearable Weight of Appearing Happy and Successful 24/7

The Otherisation of Bengalis in Present-day India