Say a Firm Goodbye to Guilt

 

Let’s talk about a very common feeling that we all face (particularly us women).


You are happy, on top of the world, enjoying yourself to the hilt, when suddenly an odd feeling creeps in. Something tells you that this is wrong, you shouldn’t be happy. Something prompts you to think that you don’t belong here – in this carefree scenario, you have aged parents to care for, remember?  How can you spend such an obscene amount on that bag, when you had been saving to buy that automated washing machine? So insensitive - dancing away while your kid is alone at home?

 

You get the drift?

A gnawing sense of guilt hits you while you are:

a) Having a good time at a party without your family/kids

b) Heading out for a weekend trip all by yourself

c) Gloating in hubby’s praise of your cooking while he mocks your sister-in-law’s lack of culinary skills

d) Buying something really extravagant for yourself, instead of saving for the family fund

It is all the work of a devil called guilt.

What does Guilt do?

Nothing positive, you can be assured. You get these things for free:

 û  Physical ailments like ulcers, hypertension, heartburn, digestive problems

û  Emotional stress

û  Poor self-image

û  Strained relationship with close ones

û  Bitterness and cynical attitude towards life in general

It kills us slowly, this guilt. It draws sustenance from our insecurities and lack of self- esteem.


Like an uncalled for, uninvited guest which firmly lodges itself in our minds, and begins controlling it thereafter, guilt occupies a lot of space and slowly eats up peace of mind and joy.

How can we kick out this arrogant intruder?


Script a new Self-Talk

If we think rationally, we can look guilt in the eye and challenge it directly. Is there any logic behind feeling guilty all the time? No, it is pointless, like shooting in the air.

Let’s start with wiring our internal talk differently?

Take your pick from these feel-good options:

ü Okay, I have given priority to my personal needs over those of my loved ones. Don't I need to love myself first? I have earned this fancy spa package by slogging for days.

ü  I have reached a milestone of my career through hard work. I deserve to celebrate my success just like I want. Yes, without my family.

ü  Partying, hanging out with friends gives me happiness. If I am happy, I can keep others happy.

ü  My solo trip is long overdue. I will hate myself and my family if I don’t get away from them once in a while.

ü  Kid is sick, and I am in office, so what? I am checking on her constantly. This presentation is important for my career advancement.

ü  My son is learning how to cook, good thing I leave the kitchen to him. He will grow up a considerate, skilled human being.

Choose your motivation mantra, and come out of the vicious cycle of guilt – regret – stress – burnout.

Ladies, it’s time to say a firm goodbye to this uninvited guest who has already overstayed in your mind!

 

So, let’s kick out guilt!


#GuiltIsBad #SayNoToGuilt #PointlessGuilt

Comments

  1. How nicely you have put up the writing. And rightly said so. 👍 Regret and guilt takes and toll on us and drains out the positivity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Supported Publishing - Boon or Scam?

The Unbearable Weight of Appearing Happy and Successful 24/7

The Otherisation of Bengalis in Present-day India