Benefits of Losing

Is it absolutely mandatory to win every argument? To be always proved right?

I think sometimes it is better to give in. At the cost of sounding defeatist, I would stress that some arguments are worth losing. Sometimes the rift created by trying too hard to prove yourself right is not worth it.

After all, it is my perspective, my perception of a situation and I may be wrong. There is always more than one right way of seeing things. Our perception is severely limited by various factors like personal bias, time, selective views, and attribution. Another point of view may be free from these perceptive factors. So that viewpoint may be more objective, more balanced than mine.

When I cannot control my own incorrect or lopsided perceptions, or edit my mental filters, how can I be so sure of always being right?

So I argue and defend myself and create dissenters, and go on with sheer lung power or better verbosity to win an argument. I bulldoze others to accept my judgement. But maybe, I am wrong after all. Shouldn't I first look inwards, check my motivations, and then influence others?

As it is rightly said, it is better to lose an argument and win a friend and vice versa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Supported Publishing - Boon or Scam?

The Unbearable Weight of Appearing Happy and Successful 24/7

The Otherisation of Bengalis in Present-day India